Surrey Sussex Group VTTA

NEWS

 

2018 VTTA SUBSCRIPTIONS

Annual VTTA subscriptions for the year 2018 are now due. These remain the same as for 2017, so the amounts payable to renew through the Surrey/Sussex Group are:

Single members - £12.00
Couples - £14.00

The Subscription for Single members and Couples includes the fee for the Veteran magazine. Honorary Life Members receive it free and don't need to pay anything for their membership.

If you intend to gain a Standards Award this year a fee of £10 is payable before your first qualifying event.

Medals and plaques for those members who register for Standards Awards, and achieve at least one of their targets in the year, are awarded at our Annual Lunch, as well as the trophies won in our Group events. All members are invited to the lunch on Sunday 11th February 2018. Award and trophy winners are strongly encouraged to attend.

Out of the single and couple subscriptions, the Group only retains £2.00 to cover its administration costs for the year, with the rest being paid to National. We have kept our levy at £2.00 for many years now, although other Groups have raised their subscriptions. Whilst we are not applying an increase this year, any donations that you care to make will be gratefully received.

An online payment option is available, and I am pleased to report that last year 51% of members took it up. This method is secure, provides a direct record of who paid what into the Group’s bank account and avoids the risk of cheques going astray. I strongly encourage those who do use internet banking to use this option. For those of you who don’t, I request that you send cheques to me direct. We do not accept cash payments because of the extra administration they involve.

I hope that you will be continuing your VTTA membership through the Surrey/Sussex Group. Please note that any members not paying their subscriptions by 28th February 2018 will be deemed to have resigned.

Please contact Jon Fairclough for further details.

Posted by: webmaster on 2018-01-06

2017 AGM

Please note that the ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING will take place on Sunday November 19th at Handcross Parish Hall at 10.00am for 10.30 sharp.

If you have any items for the agenda please notify the Secretary, Esther Carpenter, by post or e.mail, by November 5th. It will be appreciated if you can attend this meeting.

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-10-09

2017 BAR CLAIMS

Tim will be writing out to members asking you to send in your claims for the various Group and National competitions. You can see the details on the National VTTA website.

Claims will probably need to be with Tim by the 27 October, but more details will be in his note.

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-09-23

RAY DARE

This was posted on the Time Trialling Forum:

Dear Riders

As those who were at the event today know, there was an accident involving rider number 9, Ray Dare of the Kingston Phoenix. He was apparently hit from behind by a car. We now know he died from his injuries at the scene. Other riders have spoken of him riding well and steadily before. As yet there are no further details but police, of course, are conducting a fatal accident investigation.

I am sure all riders will be as shocked as the officials were at this news. We were at least able to arrange for the wife of a club member to call in and be with his wife, Beryl, 90, just before the police arrived to give her the news.

Many thanks to the many of you who offered to help today after the first news first of the incident came in and for your understanding when we did not know the seriousness of what had happened.

I only meet Ray today: I told him I was privileged to have him riding in my event.

I will write to Beryl on behalf of all those involved in the event today expressing our shock and sympathy.

David Guy

19/7/17

Beryl has asked that no one contacts her by phone at the moment.

Ray was riding the F11/10 near Tring in the VTTA 10 event

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-07-20

MORE RACING NEWS

Tom Glandfield won the Aldershot Cup (greatest plus Surrey Sussex Group member in the ESCA 50) with a plus of 22 mins 42 secs. You can download a copy of the ESCA 50 result here

You can check the list of Trophy winners so far this season on the 2017 Competitions page

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-07-10

GROUP OPEN 10 ON 3 JUNE 2017

The result of the Group 10 on Saturday 3 June saw the Stan Harvey Trophy & Medal (Highest Surrey/Sussex Veteran Plus on Standard) go to Peter Tadros (In-Gear Quickvit Trainsharp RT) with a plus of 5 minutes and 12 seconds, while the Wilf How Trophy & Medals (Highest Surrey/Sussex Club Veteran Team of 3 on Standard) went to the Lewes Wanderers CC team of Nick Dwyer (+ 05:08) Peter Baker (+ 03:24) and Michael Valks (+ 02:29) with a total plus of 11 minutes and 1 second

You can download a copy of the result sheet here

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-07-09

GROUP 30 CHAMPION

The Group 30 Championship is incorporated in the Lewes Wanderers event that was held on the 21 May 2017. Pete Tadros (In Gear Quickvit) did a 1:04:42, which gave him a plus of 16mins 27 Secs and he was the Group member with the greatest plus. The full result can be downloaded here

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-06-04

ANNUAL LUNCH

Forty people attended the annual lunch and awards on February 12th, Jim Burgin was the guest speaker. There are photographs of David Shepherd and Mike O'Gorman

David Shepherd 2017 Lunch
David Shepherd and Jim Burgin

2017 Awards

The Group Trophies

Mike OGorman
Mike O'Gorman

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-01-16

HARRY FEATHERSTONE

We are sad to report that Harry Featherstone died last week (4 January). Harry had been unwell for sometime. We will provide more information shortly.

Posted by: webmaster on 2017-01-08

GROUP AGM

The following are the minutes of the AGM.

Minutes of the Annual General Meeting of the VTTA Surrey/Sussex Group held on Sunday, 27th November 2016 at Handcross Parish Hall, commencing at 10.00am.

Present: Keith Wilkinson, Jon Fairclough, Dave Pollard, Ray Dare and Mike Morley

Apologies for absence: Esther Carpenter, Tim Carpenter and Robin Johnson.

Minutes: The Minutes of the previous year’s AGM were circulated and agreed.

Matters Arising: Mick Kilby has been President of the Sussex CA for 2016 as nominated by the Group.

Correspondence: No details available.

Officers’ Reports:

Chairman – Keith Wilkinson reported that he continued to be concerned about the lack of support from the membership towards the administration of the Group. He was pleased that Jon Fairclough and Dave Pollard had stepped forward last year to take on the positions of Treasurer and Time Trials Secretary. However, Gary Holder who took on the position of Social Secretary last year to organise the Group's lunch had recently resigned without really giving a reason other than his lack of computer skills. With Tim Carpenter stepping down from his 3 positions as Recorder, Press Secretary and Website Manager the Group was back to urgently needing new people to come onto the Committee to fill the vacancies. In the last issue of The Veteran Tim said that he had found a replacement Recorder, Richard Guy of Woking CC, but this turned out to be a premature announcement as he had not accepted the position, hadn't come to the AGM and wasn't a member of the VTTA. The attendance at this AGM had probably sunk to a new all time low of 5 people, this being out of a total Group membership of 162.

Secretary – Although Keith had requested her report nothing had been received prior to the AGM from Esther Carpenter.

Treasurer – The report is filed. Jon Fairclough said that he was pleased that in the first year of offering the option of paying subscriptions online 38% of the membership had renewed this way and he hoped that the number would increase in 2017. As some members didn't receive the initial renewal letter that was sent out last December together with the lunch booking form he would consider the best way of sending these this time. Jon said that at present subscription renewal payments go to him but new membership applications go to Esther, which means that she has to then forward the cheques to him for banking. He would like to get agreement that his name and address could be shown on the website in future for all subscription payments and Keith agreed to check this with Esther . The current assets of the Group at just over £4,000 represent roughly 2 years turnover and Jon thought that we should all give consideration to using some of this in ways that might attract new members and encourage existing members to get more involved. Dave Pollard said that because we don't have any courses in London South that produce fast times and attract full fields we are unlikely to ever get the membership levels that East Anglia, for example, get with their access to the E2 courses.

Recorder –The report is filed. Tim Carpenter was resigning his position as from this AGM but had done all the initial work that was involved in collating the end of season claims for standards and records. The list of the standards awards would need to be submitted to the engravers. Consideration would have to be given to the arrangements for presenting the trophies and awards at the Group lunch in February. The GS Stella won the team awards at the VTTA National '50' in 2015 but their individual medals were not included with the other National awards collected from the National AGM. The GS Stella had asked where their medals were and Tim had contacted Ian Greenstreet to request them, but despite a reminder they still hadn't been received.

Time Trials Secretary – Both the Group events had been run successfully this year, with Dave Pollard promoting the June‘10’ and Keith Wilkinson the September ‘25’, although both events received fewer entries than in recent years. The highlight of the '25' was Ray Dare's ride as he set a new National record for age 90 and won the event on standard. Keith distributed a list of the Group events to be included in the 2017 CTT Handbook. As in 2016 the ‘50’ and ‘100’ would be included in the ESCA events, the 12 hour would be the KCA 12, the ‘30’ would be promoted within the Lewes Wanderers’ ‘30’ and our second ‘25’ in the Bec event. A discussion ensued on how to get sufficient marshals as Keith had some difficulty in getting the number required for the Group '25' in September. Some VTTA Groups now offer payment to marshals but it was thought that this wouldn't necessarily get people out in the early morning if they weren't already prepared to do it. It was thought that petrol expenses should be offered to marshals who needed to drive to the event. Dave said that for the '10' he didn't have a problem as the course required very few marshals and members of his club were willing to assist him. In the past we have been required to provide 2 marshals for the Bec '25' but the new organiser in 2016 did not request any assistance from us. The Group's trophies will need to be engraved ready for presentation at the 2017 lunch. After Dave Cox resigned at the 2016 AGM Keith had collected the trophies and got them engraved at very reasonable cost by a retired engraver who now worked from his home in Whyteleafe. Keith agreed to do this again for this year but would like Dave to consider whether he could deal with the trophy engraving from next year, since it had previously been part of the Time Trials Secretary's job. Mike Morley and Dave Pollard returned trophies to Keith at the meeting and he would chase up the return of any others so that they could all be engraved during January.

- 2 -

Press Secretary – Tim Carpenter had submitted reports for the 3 issues of The Veteran issued so far during 2016 and would be submitting his final report on the day of the AGM. Jon said that he would now be willing to take over this task from Tim.

Social Secretary – After Gary Holder had resigned Keith had contacted the Normandy Centre and the caterers to check that everything was OK with our booking for Sunday 12th February 2017. In the absence of a new Social Secretary he would continue to deal with the arrangements for the event and would discuss with Jon the booking form that would need to be sent out with the membership renewal form. Mike Morley asked whether a guest speaker had been invited and suggested that we should invite Jim Burgin as he has announced his retirement from the positions of National Chairman and magazine editor. Mike would check with Esther for her view on this and he knows Jim's son Philip as he is also a member of the Kingston Phoenix.

Affiliations: Affiliations to the CTT (delegates: Keith Wilkinson & Robin Johnson), ESCA (delegates: Esther Carpenter & Mick Kilby) and SCA (delegates: Robin Johnson & Mick Kilby) were agreed.

Keith agreed to attend the VTTA National AGM again as the Group's delegate but no date or venue had yet been given for this, although the latest issue of The Veteran referred to it being in January. We had moved our prize giving lunch to be a week later in 2017 so that the National AGM wouldn't be on the same weekend, since the long drive to and from Alcester on the Saturday to collect the awards followed by the Group lunch on the Sunday to present them had been very tiring in the last 2 years, particularly when contending with winter weather conditions. It was agreed that petrol expenses would be paid for representing the Group at the National AGM.

Election of Officers:

Chairman - Keith Wilkinson

Secretary – Esther Carpenter

Treasurer – Jon Fairclough

Time Trials Secretary – Dave Pollard

Recorder – (no nomination)

Social Secretary – (no nomination)

Press Secretary - Jon Fairclough

As there were so few attending the meeting it was not possible to have a proposer and seconder for each nomination and the above were therefore all proposed by Mike Morley and seconded by Ray Dare.

Other Committee members - As before:- Mike Morley, Ray Dare and Robin Johnson.

Meetings: The next Committee meeting would be held on 3rd June 2017 after the ‘10’ at East Hoathly, to be advertised as a 9.00am start depending upon the number of entrants for the event. Jon asked whether it would be possible to hold the meeting on a different date as he had already entered the Tour of Cambridgeshire event on that day. Keith said that if we were to go for a meeting on a different date from the '10' we would have to go back to hiring a hall for it and our past experience was that we got a minimal attendance, at least the '10' before the meeting gave an added incentive for people to attend.

The 2017 AGM would be held at Handcross Parish Hall on Sunday, 19th November 2017 commencing at 10:00am.

There being no other business the Chairman ended the meeting at 11:45am.

Posted by: webmaster on 2012-12-01

 

Next

Last